International travel is once again facing the COVID-19 panorama with the new variant, thus modifying the restrictions as more information about it becomes known.
All in order to control the global waves of contagion, some countries such as Brazil, the United States and the Europeans prohibited entry from countries in South Africa where there is a report of the beginning of this variant, in the same way they rethink the entry requirements . Others like Israel that totally close their borders for foreign tourism, How is the situation of the restrictions from Ómicron?.
Currently, entry restrictions to the European Union are based on an epidemiological classification criterion of the country of origin. For now - the list is reviewed every two weeks - so technically people can enter the European Union beyond their vaccination status for the time being.
However, each member state has the power to define its own restrictions, so it is important to check the requirements of each country.
Although due to the escalation of infections, the United States recently raised the alert level, tourists can enter the country as long as they meet some requirements: full vaccination certificate (depending on whether it is a single dose or two doses) at least 14 days before the trip ; and everyone over 2 years of age must present a negative antigen or PCR test done no more than 24 hours before, the US accepts all vaccines approved by the FDA and WHO, including combinations of those vaccines.
According to the information collected by an 80% from the destinations, they require a negative PCR 24 to 72 hours before starting the trip (check the requirements before making or scheduling the trip), the complete or partial vaccination certificate is also required in very specific cases , that is why the requirements up to the date of publication are as follows:
Argentina - Foreigners who want to enter for tourist reasons must present a complete vaccination schedule, a negative PCR taken a maximum of 72 hours before the trip and health insurance that covers COVID-19, and 48 hours before the trip. an affidavit from the page of Migration Argentina.
Brazil - International tourists must present a negative Covid test carried out 72 hours if it is a PCR or 24 hours before if it is Antigens, minors between 2 and 12 years old are exempt from the requirement if they travel accompanied. Also printed or electronic proof of the vaccination certificate whose application of the last dose is before 14 days, and the traveler's health declaration (DSV).
Chili - It is one of the regions where it has the greatest number of requirements to enter the country, such as:
– Complete vaccination schedule, previously approved from mevacuno.gob.cl (keep in mind that this request may take 15 to 30 days).
– Negative PCR taken 72 hours before the trip from 2 years onwards.
– Complete the Online form (Sworn Declaration for Travelers) 48 hours before the trip and save the QR code for verification.
– A PCR test must be carried out as soon as it arrives in the country and it must be isolated for 6 to 12 hours until the negative result is obtained, this must be done in a hotel or declared address.
Colombia - Meanwhile, in Colombia, in accordance with Resolution 2052 of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Transportation, it is mandatory to enter the country to have the vaccination scheme against Covid-19. Only Colombians, as an exception, will be able to enter with the vaccination scheme started, with a negative Covid PCR test taken a maximum of 72 hours before traveling.
Colombians can enter without a vaccination certificate with a negative PCR test. This measure is only for people over 18 years of age. Additionally, the Colombia migration pre-registration requirement on the page will remain in force. https://apps.migracioncolombia.gov.co/pre-registro/public/preregistro.jsf If you are a foreigner without a vaccination schedule, you will not be allowed to enter the country.
Ecuador – Since the emergence of the omicron variant, the country's entry requirements have been tightened since December 1, all those over 16 years of age who enter the country by air, land or sea must present:
– Complete vaccination card.
– Negative result of a PCR before 72 hours of travel.
– Children between 2 and 16 years old must present a negative PCR.
– Everyone must complete the traveler's health declaration.
Mexico - It continues to confirm its status as a rare bird in the pandemic scenario. It has been one of the few countries to keep its borders always open and without demanding particular requirements to enter the country, although foreign visitors do not need to present negative PCR results to enter the country, many hotel chains are aware of the average to enter to other countries and offer the test taking service for their clients either free of charge for their stay or at an additional cost.
Peru - since the news of the variant the entry requirements were updated, as of December 9 they took the following measures:
– They must present the complete vaccination certificate for all those over 12 years of age.
– Submit a PCR taken within 72 hours of the trip.
– For those under 12 years of age, the condition is not to present any symptoms of Covid-19
– On the other hand, three days before arriving in Peru it is mandatory to complete a virtual health affidavit and geolocation authorization for a period of 14 days.
– The social immobilization schedules filed in some provinces of Peru must be respected.
It should be noted that Brazil, Chile, Paraguay are prohibited access to foreigners who have visited South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Eswatini (Swaziland), Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Namibia, 14 days before. Paraguay includes Malawi, Zambia and Angola on its list, but the time is 10 days instead of two weeks.